Hello and welcome to another round of Tuesday Recipe! A while ago, I posted loads of Gingerbread Men pictures on Instagram. Some of you asked me to share the recipe and originally, I wanted to make a video post for this one but unfortunately, I simply did not have the time to cut the video. So instead of not sharing the recipe at all, here comes a usual picture recipe:
Ingredients (for about 25 gingerbread men)
- 200g (approx. 7 oz) butter
- 350g (approx. 12 oz) honey
- 250g (approx. 9 oz) sugar
- 1 package of gingerbread spices
- 15g (approx. 0.5 oz) cacao powder
- 1,200g (approx. 42 oz) flour
- 1 package baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
For the decoration:
- 2 egg whites
- 375g (approx. 13 oz) icing sugar
- Everything else you want to use to decorate them
- Mix the butter, the honey, the sugar, the gingerbread spices and the cacao powder and heat it up on medium heat until all the sugar has melted.
- Leave it to cool down.
- Mix the flour and the baking powder in a separate bowl and add salt, eggs and the honey mixture you prepared before. Work it into a smooth dough.
- Leave it covered for the night with room temperature
- The next day, preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F) and roll out the dough until it is almost half a centimeter thick. Cut out the gingerbread men and place them on a baking tray.
- Bake it for 12-15 minutes.
- To decorate it, mix the egg whites with the icing sugar and beat it. Then decorate the gingerbread men according to your taste.
One final tip
The gingerbread men will be very hard when they come out of the oven and have cooled down. Leave them somewhere for a few days and they will become softer so that you can actually eat them without breaking your teeth. I’ve also heard you could place them in a box with a piece of apple to have the same result but quicker. I have never tried it so I cannot tell you if it works but let me know if you try that!
Those gingerbread men make an amazing present and you can also use it as decoration! I’ve made way to much dough the other day (twice the amount as stated above) and I made 47 gingerbread men and a lot of stars. All of my colleagues, friends and family received one and I used some to decorate the house.
Thanks a lot for stopping by my blog! If you like my posts, please spread the word! Thanks in advance!!!
Tuesday Recipe Link-Up – Your Turn
Share your most favorite recipe of the week with fellow chefs and bakers in my Tuesday Recipe Link-Up. I look forward to all your recipes! Don’t forget to stop by other bloggers who are sharing their recipes! Have a lovely Tuesday everybody!!! When you share your recipe, please use the Hashtag #TTTR
Sign up for my months newsletter and receive three motivational desktop wallpapers for free!